Thursday, June 25, 2009

My brother's words

I stole, I mean borrowed this post from my brother, Charles. It is his take on the wedding and I agree with his summary:
This past weekend, I officiated the wedding of my father to his new bride, Lou Smith. The comment I get the most is, “Wow, that was quick!” And its true… It hasn’t been quite a year since we buried mom. In truth though, my mother’s illness removed her from our lives years ago. Quite literally, I said “goodbye” to my mom over three years ago. Dad’s grieving had been a long process that did not begin at her funeral, but like mine had also started years earlier.
Dad and Lou started hanging out together with some friends for breakfast, then they started hanging out for game nights, then they became joined at the hip! I have known Lou’s family all my life. We all went to church (West Side) together. Jennifer and Brandi were friends of mine and Beth. My mom and Lou were friends – good friends in fact.
Lou lost her husband about 4 years ago. So while it was a bit of a surprise, their relationship and happiness all just seems to fit. …and I think everyone, including Beth and I, are very happy for Dad and Lou.
Besides that kiss… The wildest thing for me to come to grips with is that my tribe has increased. I now have a whole new “step” family with sisters and brothers-in-laws, and nephews, and everyone else!.
Before:
After:

And here’s that kiss… I was waaay too close for my own comfort!

4 comments:

  1. you all look so great in your wedding gear...before the puke of black death. they look very happy. i am praying for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you shared this. What a kiss for sure, she certainly seems thrilled to be your dad's wife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is totally random but she looks jaundice. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete