Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Then and Now

Today is Tim and I's eight year anniversary. When I think back to our dating and engaged life, I am amazed at the ways we have changed (okay, that mainly I have changed). I thought I'd share a few examples with you.


Then:
Tim informed me that he wanted his wife to stay at home. I told him that we should break up because I was not getting my PhD to be at home.


Now:
I am a stay-at-home mom with a PhD. I love staying home with my kids and could not imagine amything else.


Then:
Tim expressed his desire to have 4 children. I said I would be happy with 2.

Now:
I am pregnant with our fourth child.


Then:
Ultimate frisbee was one of the most important things in my life. Most of our disagreements revolved around ultimate frisbee.

Now:
I have not played 'competitive' ultimate frisbee in 3+ years and I do not miss it.


Then:
Tim loved God first and me second.

Now:
I understand now why Tim loves God first and me second.


Then:
I was amazed at the respect people had for Tim. On occasions my mentor would not speak to me for a week, but would greet Tim warmly the second he walked into our lab.

Now:
I know that Tim deserves the respect that people show him. I have learned that he will talk to people even when they do not want to talk to him. Tim either does not get the 'don't talk to me vibe' or he just completely ignores it. I have also learned to rescue people sometimes when they are stuck listening to his work progress. He honestly believes that everyone is really interested in what he does for a living (he's reading this now thinking, "but they are really interested." Yes honey, they are, sometimes).


Then:
I loved Tim because he was the mate God provided for me and he treated me like a princess.

Now:
I still love Tim because he is the mate God provided for me. I now have to share my princess role with two other princesses, but I do not mind. I also love him because he is completely trustworthy. Whenever I have a tough decision to make, I know that he will provide sound advice. I love him because he is an amazing father and my children adore him. I love him because he provides stability for our family. He makes us his priority. Lastly, I love Tim because he does not compromise his beliefs. He believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and Tim truely desires that each and every person he meets know Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

I am so thankful that God continues to work in and through mine and Tim's life. I am thankful that Tim saw potential in me and asked me to be his wife. If you do not know the Jesus that we so frequently talk about, please ask us. We would be happy to share.

To Tim- Happy Anniversary. I love you!

3 comments:

  1. Beth! Way to put that mushy stuff out there! Cracking up and tearing up at the same time. Happy Anniversary you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then: I wasn't reading this post & my eyes were dry.

    Now: I read your post & my eyes are not dry.

    You gave me the tears. Happy Anniversary sweet friends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary and congratulations! It's a blessing how love grows, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete